I have known for many years that I am sensitive to gluten and have been doing a lot of reading about the symptoms of gluten-sensitivity. Here are just some of the symptoms I have experienced and that you may not have thought of as it is not always only specifically gut related problems that can be associated with this sensitivity.
- Skin problems such as bumps or rashes. Rosacea, eczema and Keratosis pilaris (chicken skin bumps on the back of your arms) have all been linked to a gluten sensitivity or allergy in some people.
- Hormone imbalances. This can be especially true in women during menopause.
- Brain fog. A feeling of fuzziness in your brain which makes it difficult to concentrate.
- A diagnosis of fibromyalgia or sore and swollen joints and muscles.
- A diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. Or just a feeling of tiredness and fatigue and difficulty sleeping.
- Depression and moodiness.
- Migraine headaches and other headache issues.
- Autoimmune disorders.
- Dizziness or a feeling of unbalance.
- Gut disorders like constipation, gas, bloating, diarrhea and malabsorption are all linked to gluten sensitivities.
I have had all of these symptoms at one time or another and find that they all but disappear when I am strict about not eating gluten. I feel more awake, aware, able to tackle the little problems of the day and less emotional. I sleep better, my skin is better and I have fewer headaches. My joints and muscles don’t ache and my fingers are less puffy. I am less bloated and gassy and just generally feel much better. People with gluten intolerances or sensitivities or allergies tend to have problems with malabsorption of important nutrients that are essential to good health. I am not a doctor and only know these things through reading and research as well as trial and error in my own diet and health. If you have any of these symptoms, I would suggest speaking to your doctor and consider going on an elimination of gluten diet to see if it is the culprit with your health issues. I wish you best of luck in sorting out your gluten sensitivity or any other health issues. Best of health!! Cheers, Michele