As I mentioned in the post with this salad, it is a delicious recipe. It can be used in a myriad or different ways. Rather than just three options, I am going to be listing off many ways to use up any left overs…if there are any.
Spanish Roasted Onion Salad
6 large onions peeled sliced thickly width wise (red or white onions)
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp fresh thyme
2 Tbsp capers drained (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large baking pan oiled with 1 Tbsp olive oil, lay out the slices of onion. Drizzle the rest of the olive oil and the balsamic vinegar over top. Season with the salt, pepper and thyme. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the onions are soft and caramelized. Remove from oven and sprinkle with capers. This can be served hot as a delicious side dish. You can add more balsamic if the onions are very sweet and adjust the salt and pepper seasoning. I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do. Here are some options of how to use these delicious onions.
- Use as a sandwich filling with cooked chicken or beef.
- Heat the onions up and top grilled meat
- Mix into scrambled eggs.
- Add the onions chopped to soups and stews.
- Mix with steamed vegetables (broccoli or snow peas) for a delicious side dish.
- Add to risotto or any pasta dish.
- Serve on a toasted bagel with cream cheese.
- Put warmed onions on a toasted English muffin and top with poached eggs.
- Serve cold with steamed or grilled fish. Or with smoked salmon.
- Use your imagination!
I hope you enjoy and try out these suggestions of uses for this delicious grilled onion recipe. Cheers, Michele