The Old Gap Dress Has a Second Chance at Life.

Posted on Updated on

image

I really wish I had taken a picture of the dress that was the source for this top, but it was well before I had gotten up the courage to start this blog so I had no idea I would need it.  It was a Gap dress in size 10 which I had attempted to refashion to make it still wearable but my curves would just not squeeze into it, and the sad part was it had pockets, the Holy Grail of dress additions.  But I will tell you it was long, with a cross over bodice with cap sleeves.  The dress malingered for almost a year, with me constantly going back to it trying to make it work.  Finally I gave up, but all was not lost.  I loved the pattern and beautiful cotton fabric so much that I just had to get up the nerve to cut it up.  I took the skirt off and undid the side seams leaving me with two panels of workable fabric.  Since I wanted to let the pattern be the focal point I decided to keep the cut simple, and I had a simply cut vintage top that I love so I laid it on the fabric, allowed for seam allowances and snipped away.

image

Front, side and back view.  I used the best piece for the front for a symmetrical pattern, but had to make do with the back.

Then it was just a simple matter of stitching the new seams and hemming. image

I used the skirt lining to create neckline facing to give a smooth finish.  I love this top now and wear it a lot in the summer.  I have no regrets, and am turning my eye towards other stashed pieces that I love for the fabric but not the fit or cut. As you can see, sometimes a refashion can be a bit radical although mine are usually more simple fitting or length or sleeve alterations.